Skip to main content

Armies of Your Heart


Cause I want to be with you
but I need a place to start
I'm surrounded and captured
by the armies of your heart
I’m in such an odd place. Again.



I read two articles yesterday about Guarding Your Heart. I really liked them. I shared them on my social media sites. Now I think I need to add my thoughts to the authors’ thinking to avoid confusion of my personal views.

They said don’t guard your heart. They said love people without bounds. They said you will get hurt. They said it is so worth it. They said it’s what Jesus did.

I agree.

However.

People are stupid.

Love is so ultimately important because God is love. We have been commanded to love others whether we want to or not. These authors don’t want people to fear loving, because God doesn’t. He loves without bounds. He does get hurt. He says it’s worth it.

We’re to live in love. I will never disagree with that. My concern comes with the type of love.

Romantic love is not the same as friend/family love. We’re not supposed to love excessively in the romantic sense. We are to love our spouse that way. Most people do love more than one person in the romantic sense and that isn’t error – be honest with people. But be careful.

Solomon warns the Daughters of Jerusalem to “not awaken love until it so desires.” Build that love. Don’t start with it. It’s okay to love who you’re dating. I’m not saying you have to wait until marriage to feel real love or even to say “I love you.” But don’t start at romantic love.

In Song of Solomon, the couple has a tender love. They treat each other with respect – usually – and care. There are many references to themselves as brother and sister. Not in an incestuous way. In a caring, always there for you love.

The kind of love we’re to have for everyone.

The love of Christ.

That love, coupled with their romantic passionate love, is what makes their marriage wonderful. What makes it godly.

But that doesn’t mean we open up that possibility to everyone.

People are stupid.

Not every deserves your romantic love.

You have been commanded to love everyone. Regardless of your feelings. God gives us love – He gave us Christ. If He can love us, we have no excuse to not love others.

It is not good for man* to be alone.

It is not good for man to be foolish.

But we so often are.

There is a good kind of pain from love. the learning kind. One author talks about the “fingerprints” people will leave on your heart when you let them hold it. I love that picture. She also makes the point that we don’t let people hold onto our hearts forever. God holds our hearts. We have given them to Him.

He is the only one with the power to redeem us, to crush us.

Do not fear the marks of man.

But do not let men have undo access to what you have given unto God.

~ A good sermon I recently listened to on what is really loving: Revenge and Love by Matt Chandler


*Man in the generic humankind sense. Ladies, be comfortable, feel safe under the protection of that title. It’s how we were designed to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First in Awhile

The past year or so I have been working with the youth group at the church I grew up in. Such an odd thing to wrap my mind around. The group that in so many ways formed who I am today is something I still get to be there for. Though now I'm the responsible one. The mature one. As our interim pastor says, "the one with all the answers." (He JOKES anyway). I show up and help lead where I can. Because it's what is needed. And it's a calling I feel I have on my life. To work with young people, to help teach. The irony is that my journey lately has taken me through a struggle with discipline. Becoming the person I need to be and doing the actions to get me there. I watch my husband and it seems so easy for him while for me often it's a battle of   but I don't want to .  And I have to admit comparisons have only intensified that feeling. It's so easy to sit back and deny what I ought to do in favor of what's right in front of me.  But I

I am Redeemed

You set me free. I don’t have to be, That old man inside of me. I’m not who I used to be. Thank God, I’m redeemed. I’ve loved this song since it was released. The simple truth I so often forget. I am redeemed. It’s basic. Essentially basic. But why can’t I remember? So often I find myself slipping into my version of “that old man.” I listened to a sermon awhile ago and the pastor talked about how everyone goes through times of desert. Then he started talking to me. Just make sure you aren’t keeping yourself in the desert any longer than you have to. Longer than you have to. The phrase played in my mind like tacky wordart. Big, bright letters swirling into sentences. Into meaning. Into my life. I don’t have to be like that. I don’t have to do that or hide there. I am redeemed . Bought back. Made better. Set free. Don’t keep yourself in that desert any longer than you have to be there. There is a special kind of grace in this remembering. I

Tired of Losing...

We’re not really born with a fair shake, you know. We start out this life in teeny tiny little bodies that are completely defenseless then we grow into children who do not understand that cars whizzing by on the street are dangerous. Then onto teenagers fueled by junk food and raw emotion often ill-controlled. The twenty-something’s who think life is in the palm of their hands and their plans are the beautiful, world changing kind. Into our thirties we slow down a little bit, maybe have a family, maybe altered dreams completely, but the beauty is still there if a bit less dim. The forties and fifties, some say they’re the new twenties packed with whole new dreams about this new, wiser portion of life – the kids are growing up and that means more grown up time. Again. The sixties: grandbabies crying and the silver hair let’s opinions be heard with some respect. Seventy, eighty, ninety. The respect seems to dwindle as Let the journey rage on does ability. Dreams change to regr