Skip to main content

...And a Spine.

Lately, I’ve been ranting. A lot. Mostly about wimpy Christian boys. Those guys who claim to be followers of Christ, who tell anyone they will do what God calls them to; yet they can’t get up the guts to talk to girls. Not just ask them out, speak to them. This isn’t from some desire to be in a relationship, but it’s annoying when an entire group of people avoid me. My roommate and I were talking about how guys on our private Christian campus have trouble making eye contact with us – notice, I did not say maintaining, I said making. They stare at the ground as they walk by; they look past our heads as they speak with us. These are not shy, awkward homeschoolers. These are regular, guys; guys who are even considered ‘popular.’
What
The
Heck.
Upon talking, my roomie and I realized that between the two of us the number of Christian guys who have asked us out is zero. The only time a Christian man as shown interest in me, is after he knows I have an interest in him. Silly me, I am assuming college age male equals man. Unfortunately, when I am with the Church I am surrounded by boys who can shave (as Pastor Mark Driscoll calls them). They walk around in men’s clothing, reading books that men do, learning things men ought to learn and yet, they are not men. They have no idea how to put into practice what they have been taught. Rejection is scary, I get that. Not every girl is going to say yes to coffee or even be nice to you. But if she does, now you know to move on, she is not interested. Guess what, if you never ask her, you’re going to be hung up on ‘Miss Perfect’ without getting up the guts to know her.
Asking a girl to coffee, even dinner, is not a marriage proposal. It is not even an invitation to a relationship. All it says is ‘hey, I’d like to get to know you better. Let’s go somewhere and talk.’ Then as you build that friendship, you can decide to stay at a friend level or step up to another level. Not easy to do, but not something to shy away from. Be a man. Grow up and tell the world what you want out of life. Don’t sit around in your little man groups waiting for the perfect woman to come to you because honestly, the good ones aren’t waiting for you to get some guts; they have plans, dreams that they are following – and one day, there may not be a place for you in that plan.


Comments

Johanna said…
Amen, and amen. I especially like the last line. All the Christian *men* that I know are married or engaged... Seems that they know how to take action. Now, where are the rest hiding?

~ Jody

Popular posts from this blog

A Journal, a Poem, and a Sermon.

God’s mercy is what is keeping me here right now. It is what has been molding me these past twenty years; and what will continue to mold me until He decides to call me home. But sometimes, it terrifies me. To know that I fall so short and yet, he loves me. I listened to a sermon tonight by Matt Chandler and he said, “What leads us to discipline? It’s love. The love of Christ compels us, it pushes us, it controls us…Why does the love of Christ compel you? Because you’re dead!” And something clicked in me.  This semester, God has been showing me that above all, He is merciful. Everything that He hands me is because of His mercy. Especially the sufferings I go through. If I were to have everything I want exactly how I want it, I would never know how much I need Jesus. My foundation of joy would be built on everything I have and all I have done. But seeing how quickly things and people I love can be taken away or placed out of reach, I know that nothing I have earned is mine to ...

On Still Moving

Any prayer requests? That’s how my lit prof always starts class. This morning I was thinking, wishing I were there right now to shoot up my hand. Yes! I have praise! Although, I have to admit, that isn’t how I woke up. It’s finals week. I was cranky and annoyed as well as emotionally drained from writing some pretty personal stories for my two thesis classes. Like normal I reached for my phone to check the time – up before my alarm yet again. This time I had a few text messages. One friend said some things I didn’t want to hear. Just like friends to share that sort of stuff we just have to hope it’s to benefit us, not to sting. I was in a fine mood as I walked out to get started on breakfast. Scrambled eggs would help get me out of that funk right? That’s what I was praying, anyway, just before I shared my news with my roommate as she headed out to class. I brought my computer out to listen to a sermon. Recently in a crisis of emotion I told anot...

Part Four: The Difference

This will be the final part of my summer series. This is by no means a full account of the lessons I learned and as I have realized these past weeks I am still in the process of understanding why May to August was so packed full of education, but I know this summer has been a turning point in many ways. Skipping ahead several weeks from my Blessed Shock I was on the road back to school. A whole twenty-six hours on the road. For those of you who have never been on a road trip, that’s a long time – especially when you are alone travelling through many states. [Thankfully, I have wonderful friends who allowed me to stay with them letting me break up the trip into three days of driving plus plenty of hang out time!] My time in the car was spent listening to Matt Chandler of the Village Church’s Galatians series , [okay, yep, again. I needed to hear it again to actually get it. Also, I highly recommend checking it out] praying, listening to some music, and being freaked out of my min...